Thursday, September 27, 2012

Inception

Organizing a show requires more than an idea and will power. It requires a team of dedicated individuals who believe in your vision and dedicate themselves to making it happen. Apart from all the hard work that goes into it, there is also a lot of love and faith.

The idea for organizing a dance show that portrays the strength, character and beauty of the Indian woman had been brewing in my head for quite some time. Coupled with that, telling a story that partly related to my life in some ways meant a lot to me. I’ve fought social stigma on several occasions in my life, so when I came across Breakthrough’s work in India and the music videos they had created to raise awareness on AIDS and violence against women – I knew my dance would have a purpose.

Social stigma within the Indian community exists even in this country. I know that from personal experience and that of my friends. I know of women who go through abuse, domestic violence, life threatening diseases, and instead of talking about such matters, seeking help and/or putting a stop to it and gaining self respect, we continue on in our lives afraid of what our society might think or say about us.

Well, I say: If you can’t speak about such things then just dance! A few raging emotions gave birth to Raging Rhythms and only because our team was passionate, dedicated and such wonderful human beings, that this show became the success it was and we witnessed over 300 people make the drive to Davis to rise above social stigma and help us raise close to $11,000 for Breakthrough.

Good persists in almost all of us. We need to recognize it, streamline it and put it to work. And no matter what life throws at us, we are all equally entitled to a life filled with love and respect no matter what other people think. Respect will come to you only if you respect yourself. And one by one if we all share our stories and work towards educating people, we WILL get rid of the various stigmas that still plague our culture. We have the power to make this a better place to live in. All we need to do is believe.

My sincere thanks to the entire team of dancers, volunteers, and supporters for taking that first step. I surely hope Raging Rhythms is the beginning of many good things to follow.

Rising above all odds - a personal journey

No comments: